Paula's Georgia Cookie Candy

Paula Deen

Hey Ya"ll today we are kick en off Paula Deen Week!

If you are a regular reader of my blog than you already know that my favorite chef is Paula Deen. My daughter Mackenzie and I love to watch her cooking shows. We decided that we would dedicate our next week of recipes to Paula Deen and those handsome Deen boys Jamie & Bobby.

Everyone get ready for "Paula Deen Week" we will be cooking up recipes inspired from any one of her cookbooks or from her show "Paula's Home Cooking". We will also be preparing a recipe or two from Bobby & Jamie's cookbook " The Deen Bros. Recipes from the Road".
Oh goodness were do we begin too many recipes to choose from. I know a lot of people turn their noses up to Paula Deen, It's probably all that butter she uses in just about every recipe you see her prepare. Oh well she is top notch on my list... even with all that butter she is the "Queen of Southern Cuisine " 

No one can whip up a great southern dish with more taste and style than Paula. I never used to cook with Real Butter but, I can definitely say the taste and texture of using butter is something that cannot be duplicated unless you use the real thing. So lets not waste any time and lets get started on our first recipe.


The first time I saw this recipe for Georgia Cookie Candy was on Paula's Home Cooking a couple weeks back. It was one of those recipes that you say to yourself "I gotta make those" and so we did. They didn't last long in our house I think they were devoured in a day or two. If you love Peanut Butter Cups then you are gonna love these little guys. 

They have a smooth creamy melt in your mouth buttery texture with a crisp chocolate topping. So addicting you just can't have one they are very rich in flavor. This recipe is so simple to prepare the hardest part was waiting for them to set so you could sneak a piece.



OK these are the ingredients you will need!!!I used milk chocolate chips and real butter plus i used creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy my kids do not like nuts. Start by Lining a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with foil.

Crush up your graham crackers or use already prepared graham cracker crumbs. It cheaper to to use graham crackers and crush them yourself. Add graham cracker crumbs to a large bowl.


Combine the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs in a food processor. I don't have a food processor like Paula but a good old hand mixer will still do the job.





Process mixture until it is well blended and the mixture starts to form into a ball. If the mixture gets to thick to use the hand mixer you can use a wooden spoon.



Press into the foil-lined pan using your hands or a spatula. If it's to sticky, wet your hands or spatula with a bit of water and then press into the pan.




Your peanut butter mixture should look like this. Very pretty so far.


Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over simmering water or in a microwave-safe glass dish in the microwave for 1 minute on high (100%). If using the microwave to melt your chocolate I personally would use the defrost setting instead so you don't scorch or burn the chocolate. Just set it for a couple minutes on the defrost setting and stir till melted.



the chocolate should be smooth and creamy with no vi sable lumps.


Spread evenly over the cookie layer with a spatula. Chill for several hours. This is the hardest part of the whole darn recipe WAITING Ugh!!!



When ready to serve, allow the candy to come to room temperature before cutting into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


Georgia Cookie Candy: 

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Line a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with foil. Combine the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs in a food processor. Process until the mixture forms a ball. Press into the foil-lined pan using your hands or a spatula. 

Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over simmering water or in a microwave-safe glass dish in the microwave for 1 minute on high (100%). Stir. If the chocolate has not completely melted, microwave for 10 seconds more, then stir. 

Spread evenly over the cookie layer with a spatula. Chill for several hours. When ready to serve, allow the candy to come to room temperature before cutting into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Prep Time - 20 minutes
Recipe Yields - 36 to 40 pieces
Difficulty - So Darn Easy

Recipe courtesy of: Paula's Home Cooking

Come back tomorrow for Day Two of Paula Deen Week!!! 

6 comments

Noor said…
I love Paula and all her food. I grew up in Tennessee (east TN) right on the GA line so southern food is my fav..
Southern Plate said…
This looks so good and easy! I just love Paula and this would be a great thing for my son to make with me!
Thank you! Great pics, too!
Yum, yum, and yum! Those look so delish! I am definitely adding them to my "to make" list!
Toni
Eve said…
Going on my Christmas platter. Thanks. I am going to use creamy peanut butter and add chopped pecans. I love pecans.
Unknown said…
If it's a Paula Deen recipe it going to be delicious. I love you Paula Deen.
Unknown said…
I sure miss Paula love her to pieces