Perfectly Easy Peach Preserves

Easy peach preserves, using canned peaches, sugar and a little patience.
I am pretty proud of myself today, so I want to share my recipe experience with everyone. I actually made and these easy Peach Preserves! I got this recipe from Christy over at Southern Plate.  I was so surprised when I saw the recipe and that it only required two ingredients, canned peaches and sugar! 

Sounds so simple and it really was. It really looked like a lot of peaches when i added all of them to the pot, but once it all cooked down it yielded 3 small jars. I am definitely going to make another batch more to give and a couple to keep for myself. 

This recipe was so simple to prepare. It's really is a no fail recipe the aroma in the house while the preserves cooked was heavenly. It really made it hard to wait to taste the finished product.

I'm trying to get a jump on my home canning items that I will be including in my goodie gift baskets for Christmas. My family looks so forward to getting all those home baked cookies, breads and canned items during the Holidays.
 
I still have to make Apple Butter, Squash Relish, Pumpkin Apple Butter, and Cranberry Sauce. Plus I wanted to try my hand at Pear Honey another favorite of mine. I am still on a hunt for a tried and true recipe for that, so if anyone has one please don't hesitate to drop me a email with a great recipe.
 
These Peach Preserves are going to be so yummy on Fresh Biscuits or Toast. I can hardly wait to give them away. Lets get started.....


These are the ingredients you will need: 2 - 29 oz cans of sliced peaches in syrup, and 2 cups of sugar. This recipe can be doubles easily.

Pour peaches and syrup into medium sized pot. Heat over medium low for half an hour

stirring occasionally.

Gently stir in sugar.

Raise heat to low-medium and continue cooking (you don't want them boiling) just a low simmer. Keep them stirring them often. You don't have to sit there and stir and sir. Just every once in a while give them stir so nothing sticks. 


Be patient they need to cook down slowly or you will burn them. Let the peaches cook for an hour and a half to two hours, or until the peaches have cooked down to 1/3 or 1/4 of their original volume, and have the consistency of jam or preserves.


Just like this, look how pretty they are. Remove from heat and fill clean sterilized jars with mixture. See below for canning instructions.





Place a large dish cloth in the bottom of large pot. Place canning jars on top of dish cloth. This will prevent the jars from having direct contact with the bottom of the pot. Fill with cold tap water to cover the jars.
 
Bring to a boil, this will sterilize your jars so you can fill them with your cooked mixture. After water comes to a boil turn off heat and remove jars with tongs and a hot pad. Be careful they are very hot. Place on a dish towel on the counter. Do not place on cold counter.

Add some boiling water to a separate bowl that contains the lids and rings. Your jars are ready to fill. Add hot preserve mixture to jars you can use a funnel or a ladle. Take a damp paper towel or cloth and wipe around the top of the jar and remove any preserve mixture from the jars.
 
Using your tongs, remove a lid from the scalding water. Blot the lid on the towel and then place on top of your jar, pressing down gently. Screw on your bands snugly but don't over tighten them. Your jars are going to be hot so pick them up with the tongs and place them carefully back into your pot, on top of the towel in the bottom.

Make sure there is enough water to cover them by at least one inch. Bring the pot of water to a rolling boil again. Once it boils your processing time begins. Put the lid on the pot and process half pint jars for 5 minutes and pint jars for 10 minutes.
 
When the time is up remove lid and remove jars carefully. Use tongs and a hot pad. Place jars back on the dish towel to cool on the counter. Let your jars sit on the counter overnight. In the morning press down on the lids to make sure they are sealed properly, the lid should not pop up when you press it.

Store in refrigerator or in pantry if properly canned. Properly canned items can last in your pantry for up to 1 year.



Perfectly Easy Peach Preserves

ingredients: 
2 - 29 oz cans sliced peaches (in syrup)
2- cups sugar

Directions: 
Pour peaches and syrup into medium sized pot.Heat over medium low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Gently stir in sugar. Increase heat to medium and continue cooking for an hour and a half to two hours, or until the peaches have cooked down to 1/3 or 1/4 of their original volume and have the consistency of jam or preserves. 

Remove from heat. Store in refrigerator or in pantry if canned properly. This recipe yielded 3 half pint jars. This recipe can easily be doubled.

recipe yields: 4-5 half pints 

Cook's Note: I use this peach recipe in the winter months or if I am out of fresh peaches. 




31 comments

Stephanie said…
I really like the idea of using baked and canned goodies for gift baskets. Frugal, but really appreciated! I might have to try that this year.

Those peach preserves look so yummy. And so easy!
VG said…
Too easy yet it looks scrumptious! Can't wait to try this, for sure. How do you reckon it would go with fresh peaches?
Tina Butler said…
Hi Angie, I think they look great as well. It was so easy to make it was unbelievable.

stephanie The idea of giving baked items baskets as gifts for the holidays, came from just just being a little tight on money when i first stayed at home wit my daughter. That was 8 years ago, I thought to myself i cant go buy all these estravagent gifts but i can bake up alot of my goodies and place them in big baskets and decorate them up and give that as gifts. Well 8 years later the baskets have come to be expected LOL I love doing them. I add all kinds of stuff. Cookies, quick breads, canned items, homeade candy, a pretty candle and some of the kids holiday art work from school the grandparents love them. I give baskets at Thanksgiving and Christmas I start my baking a month in advance and bake all my cookies and breads so i can place them in freezer bags and store them. I make the candy and gourment popcorn the last day or two and pack them up the night before we are to arrive. Its so fun. The items in the freezer taste as if i baked them that day when they thaugh out.

VG I will find out if fresh peachese can be used in place of the canned not sure on that one. Thanks for stopping by.
Anonymous said…
These sound down right delicious!
I bet if you added a little cinnamon and nutmeg it would kick it up. I think DelMonte makes a canned spiced peach. I will have to see. Cant wait to try it.
Homemade gifts are just the best!
You have lucky family and friends!!
Joan
Live.Love.Eat said…
That is so awesome that you do all that!!!!
Live.Love.Eat said…
I want to start doing some baking of cookies & such & freeze them too. I have NEVER done this & I think I'm silly for that. Any tips would be appreciated. Like do you refrig them first, and then freeze, if so for how long. What are your tricks? And is there any baked good that doesn't freeze as well.
Maria♥ said…
Oh wow this looks so simple but absolutely delish! This is perfect to give as xmas gifts to family and friends.

Maria
x
Tina Butler said…
Live.Love.Eat, I think giving baked items is such a nice gift. alot of folks dont have time to bake so they appreciate the goodies. Most cookies freeze perfect. I bake them up just as the recipe calls for cool them and place in freezer zip lock bags and toss in. All baked quick breads do well to let them cool and individually wrap each one and then place them in a freezer bag and freeze. I make mini loaves so i can give everyone a bit of everything. I make vanilla popcorn now that doesnt freeze well so i do that the day before. I make rolo pretzel treats (place a rolo n a pretzel and bake on 200 for 4 minutes remove from oven and press a pecan half on top let cool) when they are all cooled i toss them in a bag as well and they freeze. I havent came across anything that doesnt freeze well. fudge does perfect. Oh another trick not sure if you make sausage cheese balls or not but my FIL loves them. I prepare the up add the raw sasage, cheese and bisquick mix up and shape into balls i place each one on a cookie sheet and freeze, remove when frozen and toss in a freezer bag. that way you can bake them fresh the day of the holiday it saves so much time. I love fresh sausage cheese balls not ones cooked them frozen yuck!!!! I hope this helps some.
Tina, great job! I want to learn how to can. I've never learned. You make it look so easy. I am so happy you make your holiday gifts. I do too. You're right, people appreciate homemade 100 times more than some store bought item. Good job neighbor.
priscilla joy said…
looks delicious, sounds like perfect gifts!
Noor said…
Oh they are just so pretty, I sure love making jams, jellies, etc too and yea their so easy. It sure seemed a lot harder when my mom made them growing up. lol..
RecipeGirl said…
yUMMM! Peach is my fave! I have NEVER canned anything, but I'm going to give cranberry jam a shot next week!
Laurie said…
I just found your site and I love it! I live outside of Mabank, so I actually know where Mesquite is!!!!If you know where Mabank is I am really really impressed!!!Your recipes sound so simple and easy to make. I can't wait to send your address to friends!!I have an open faced stromboli recipe on my site that you might like. It's easy and o so good. I can't wait for it to come up in rotation again! www.lkch.blogspot.com
Lisa K said…
I just got a box of fresh peaches and would love to try this recipe. Did you find out if fresh peaches could be used?
Tina Butler said…
Hi Lisa i commented a response to your ? on your site, but i will add the reply here as well.

That particular recipe relies on the syrup used in the canned peaches as part of the sweetener as well as liquid. To make them with fresh peaches, you'd have to use a different recipe designed to be used with fresh peaches.
catlover4251 said…
After following the recipe closely, including stirring often, my peaches burned.
Tina Butler said…
I just finished making another batch. I havent burned any yet. You might of had the heat to high. I cooked mine the 30 minutes and then added the sugar, brought it back to a boil then lowered the heat to a low simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. You have to watch them and stir. My friend burned hers she wasnt watching them and had the heat to high. They would only stick and burn it your let them sit and dont stir them. I am sorry they didnt turn out for you. You can always try again. I have made this recipe more than a dozen times.
Aida said…
these look so good, and i thought it was a great idea for christmas gifts especially since we are gonna be tight on $ this holiday. I was wondering if you knew about how long these will last?
Tina Butler said…
Aida, I would say one year. I Home can my jellies, jams and preserves months b4 I give them as gifts. The peach preserves are a awesome gift.
Donna said…
Frozen peaches would work the some way . The taste is more fresh. To make it spiced add 1 cinnamon stick to the mixture. Canning is my life.
mv said…
Hi! I think this recipe is awesome! I want to make this to send to a friend, how should the preserves be store? Will they last a week in the shipping process?
Tina Butler said…
M, If you process the jars and can them correctly the preserves have a shelf life of one year. I would wrap them in bubble wrap and package them well with some packing peanuts or newspaper.
Judy said…
After my Mom was no longer able to peel bushels of peaches, she began using this recipe. The only thing she did differently was use a potato masher to make smaller pieces of fruit, after they had cooked to a soft consistency. For anyone that is hesitant to use this recipe, I can attest that it is wonderful.
Unknown said…
This is great! Thank you for sharing! It makes me not so afraid of canning now!
Polly said…
Can you cook these in a crockpot on low
Tina Butler said…
I have only used the stove top method, so I can not say how they would turn out in a crock pot. You may want to do a search online to try and find a crock pot peach preserve recipe.
Polly said…
Ok thanks. But I think I will try it. I read it that u can. I will let you know. Lol
Unknown said…
I would like to use some of my own home canned peaches to make preserves/jam, but they are not in a thick syrup. What would you suggest I would have to do differently?
Tina Butler said…
I have used peaches in juice as well and it worked just as good. I think homemade canned peaches will be fine.
Anonymous said…
Have you tried this with fresh peaches or using a sugar substitute for the recipe? Would be helpful.
Love your blog and your recipes.
Unknown said…
Hi I know this is an old post I wanted to find this recipe and make sure it's saved. This is the recipe I used to make for favors for my wedding in 2011. It turned out great everyone loved it. My meemaw helped me can it all and she is gone now but what a sweet memory making this with her. Just thought I would share Thank you!