Homemade Gingerbread Latte

I know I said that I woudn't post another recipe for a couple days, but I just couldnt resist. I saw this awesome recipe for Gingerbread Lattes at A Year of Crock potting.

It looked so easy to make and perfect for Christmas Eve. Just steam some hot milk throw it all in cup and top off your latte with whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg just like the do at the store.
 
You will fool anyone with this little clone of the real thing. Stephanie made hers in the crock pot, but by the time i saw this recipe it was a bit late to go that route.

I added all the spices and the milk (I used whole milk) to a medium sized pot and steamed the mixture on the stove for about 15 minutes.
 
After that I proceeded with Stephanie's recipe pouring the gingerbread mixture over hot strong coffee, garnished with whipped cream a sprinkle of nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.
 
 The verdict was YUMMO GOOD! My husband even thought they were good so good we made them again the day after Christmas. This is so much cheaper than Starbucks.

 I cant wait to try my hand at some other Homemade Latte recipes.







Gingerbread Latte

4 - cups milk (2% or lower is best to not worry about curdling)
1/2 - cup white sugar
2 - tsp ground ginger
2 - tsp vanilla extract
1 - tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 - tsp cloves
1/4 - tsp nutmeg
1/2 - cup strong black coffee, or a freshly-brewed shot of espresso
cinnamon stick & canned whipped cream for garnish (optional)

This could serve 4, especially if you are adding the milk on top of coffee. Otherwise it serves 2 with a bit of milk left for kid cups. (minus the coffee) 

I used a 4 quart crock pot, you could get away with going as small as a 1.5 to 2 quart. 

Put the milk into your crock pot, and whisk in the dried spices. Don't add the coffee. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, or high for 1-2. 

The milk should be quite hot, but if your crock pot tends to get hot enough to boil, keep an eye on it. Don't let the milk boil. 

Pour over hot strong coffee or espresso. Garnish with whipped cream, a sprinkle of nutmeg, and a cinnamon stick.






12 comments

YaYa's Funhouse said…
Sounds absolutely scrumpcious!! SP??
Certainly cheaper than Seattle Drip (my favorite)
Heart 4 My Home said…
Looks mighty tasty and satisfying. I am going to have to give this one a try.

~blessings
Tiffany said…
I saw that on the crockpot blog, but I like your stove version. That's something that you might not want to plan ahead for.
Anonymous said…
I LOVED it Tina it was so absolutly delicous
Nice blog. This looks perfect and comforting for a cold night.
priscilla joy said…
mm, looks good. lattes are so good!
Reeni said…
How delicious! I love Gingerbread!
tam said…
Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!
Happy New Year!~Smiles~Tam!
Kaitlin said…
That latte is SO screaming my name!!! YUM
Anonymous said…
Oh my thank you for this site. I am a total american who loves starbucks but I live in Africa where sadly there is none. And you have given me the holiday drinks I miss the most. So I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for giving me a lil'taste of home!!!!

-Shanna
shannasanders@ymail.com
Shanna said…
oh my thank you so much for this site. I am a total American who loves Starbucks but I live in Africa where there is none. And now I can enjoy all the holiday flavors I love the most. So I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for showing me how to have a lil taste of home here in Africa.
Nicole said…
I've never had a gingerbread latte from Starbucks, but this is delicious! :) I tried your white mocha last week as well and threw some peppermint extract in it, and it tasted just like the peppermint white mocha that I love. Thank you!