Creamy Baked Ham Rigatoni

A creamy, dreamy cheesy pasta casserole and a great way to use up leftover ham.  
If you have a love for pasta and cheese than this Baked Ham Rigatoni is the recipe for you. One of my weaknesses is "Pasta" oh how I could eat it everyday, add some cheese and that just makes it that even better.

I saw this recipe for Baked Ham Rigatoni at Recipes of a Cheapskate. At first glimpse I knew I had to make it all that cheesy pasta with a homemade white sauce, it just looked to good to pass up. This dish was so fast and easy to throw together and everyone loved it.

I mean how can you go wrong with pasta and cheese, plus this dish is pretty inexpensive to make as well. I get a bit nervous sometimes when I have to make my own white sauce. I always think I'm going to mess it up, but it usually turns out perfect. Serve with a salad and some crusty french bread, definitely comfort food at it's best. I will be making this dish again. Let's go straight to the recipe. 

Start by making the white sauce. In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Start the water for the pasta to boil. When the water is boiling, add pasta and cook until just past the al dente. 

Once your butter is melted, whisk in the flour and make a roux. Continue whisking until golden in color. 

Next we will add the milk. Start by adding a little at a time mixing as you go. This will keep lumps from forming. Then keep adding more milk until it is all gone. 

If the mixture starts to boil too much just lower the heat. Keep whisking until you have a smooth sauce. 

You will now that the sauce is done if it coats the back of the spoon. When the white sauce is done, add the onion powder, pepper and gently mix. Add 1 cup of the cheese to the white sauce and stir until the cheese is melted.

Drain the past and add to the sauce mixture. 

And then add the chopped ham and lightly mix until combined. 

Pour mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan, smooth the top and sprinkle with the  additional 1 cup of cheese. Dot the top with pads of butter.


Bake for 25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the top is golden brown. 

Remove from oven let cool slightly and serve.



  Want to stay connected & up to date with Mommy's Kitchen? Don’t forget to follow me on FacebookInstagramTwitter & Pinterest!  Join the Mommy's Kitchen  Newsletter Subscription and you'll receive an email each time, I add a new recipe!

29 comments

Krystal said…
Thanks for trying my recipe! I'm so glad you all liked it, we definitely love it here too :) and that crispy cheesy top is my favorite part
Anonymous said…
This recipe looks so good. I know my family will love it.
Sherri Murphy said…
Perfect dish to please my taste buds.

I'm making this one. I'll let you know how it turned out.
Anonymous said…
This is right up my alley!
Michelle said…
I think I may have to make it this week!
Tiffany said…
I love pasta too. That looks great.
The Blonde Duck said…
This is calling my name. Could I use chicken instead of ham? I love ham, but Ben won't eat it.
Tina Butler said…
The Blonde Duck, I have only used ham in this recipe. I do know they have chicken deli sliced lunch meat so you might try that. Or just leave out the meat and have pasta and cheese.
Laura said…
Cheesy goodness with simple ingredients - have to try!
Heidi said…
That looks like a dish I would love, but would leave my lactose intolerant husband running for the bathroom! What a great looking ham recipe! Yummy as always :)
Kathy said…
I have some leftover ham that would be perfect in this!!! Thanks for sharing :o)
Bev said…
This sounds very yummy. But, I noticed you called for 1 cube of butter but specified 1 oz or 2 Tbsp. Since a cube has 8 Tbsp or 1/2 cup which is the proper amount
Tina Butler said…
Hi Bev I was thinking the same thing but actually a cube is not 1 stick of butter a 1/2 cup is equal to 1 stick. I had to look online at a conversion chart this what is stated:

A cube of butter is 1 ounce, which is 2 tablespoons.

I think it is all to confusing so I am going to change it on the ingredient listing to 2 Tablespoon so there is no confusion on a cube or a stick.
Kelley said…
yum yum! can't wait to try this!
Kathy said…
Tina, I was sicker than a DOG yesterday!!! My sweet hubby made this for supper last night and it was awesome!!! Just right for a weak tummy!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Tina Butler said…
Kathy, I left you a comment on your blog, but I will make not of it here as well. I hope you are feeling better today. What a sweet hubby to make the baked ham rigatoni for you. Thats awesome my dh would of probably made me a can of soup. Kudos to your hubby. I am glad you liked it.
Michelle said…
I made this tonight. Awesome!
Unknown said…
Michelle I am so glad you liked it. Yeah!!! Isnt it just cheesy goodness. Theres no better.
Anonymous said…
I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS TONIGHT FOR DINNER. EXCEPT,I AM GOING TO OMIT THE HAM AND PUT DICED KIEBASA SAUSAGE IN IT.
Anonymous said…
Found your recipe from a friend - thanks so much, LOVE it!

I added thawed frozen peas, a little minced onion instead of the powder, and some parmesan. It was awesome!
Anonymous said…
Help!! Im wanting to fix this for supper but confused on the butter part..am i suppose to seperate it and use 1 tablespoon for roux and 1 for pats on top or ????
Tina Butler said…
I fixed the directions for the butter. It is actually 4 tablespoons butter, separated. 2 to make the white sauce and the last two are dotted on top of the casserole before baking. Sorry about that.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for this recipe! this sound so good and something I am sure I could make. :)
Unknown said…
I didn't have any ham on hand so I used Italian sausage instead. OH MY!!!!!!
Carol said…
This was so good. For my seasonings I used onion salt, paprika, and white pepper. The sauce was so good I kept tasting it and I ended up dipping bread in it while I was waiting for the pasta.
Anonymous said…
The German chocolate cake looks fantastic I will try it later. Thanks