Paula Deen's Ultimate Coffee Cake

Good Morning everyone. Today is Day Three of "Paula Deen Week" our featured recipe for day three is "Paula's Deen's Ultimate Coffee Cake". This is a wonderful and easy recipe to make. Perfect if you have family or friends in town for a visit. When we have guest's coming in for the weekend I don't know about you but I don't want to spend to much time preparing a huge breakfast that takes all day to make. I would rather spend that time visiting and catching up. With this recipe you can throw it together the night before and the rest is taken care of as you sleep!!!!! Just wake up in the morning and pop it in the oven. This recipe only has a handful of ingredients which makes it even easier. Today I have two helpers while preparing this recipe. I usually try to just have one, but now that I have my own recipe blog everyone wants to get a cameo LOL. Oh well I guess 6 hands are better than 2. Lets get started because i have some very impatient helpers ready to go.......




Start this recipe the night before you want to serve it. We thawed out the rolls a bit first and then cut each roll in half with a pair of scissors so the pieces would be a little smaller. Mackenzie loved this part of the recipe.



place frozen rolls in well greased Bundt pan. As you can see my Bundt Pan looks pretty beat up. Sorry about that but it is the most dependable bundt pan i have. You see I have a brand new one but everything sticks to it, so i always end up using old faithful in the end. By the looks of it you can tell we do a lot of baking in this pan Ü.



Sprinkle dry pudding mix over rolls. Sprinkle brown sugar over pudding mix. Sprinkle chopped pecans over brown sugar.




ummmmm all those flavors you cant go wrong here.






Pour melted butter over all of the ingredients.






This is what it looks like after you add all the ingredients. I know it doesn't look like much now, but just wait till the rolls do all that rising while you sleep. It will double in size... I promise!!!



To prevent the dough from forming a hard crust while its rising overnight, cover with a damp towel or wrap with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with baking spray to prevent the rolls from sticking. Let rise overnight at room temperature, about 8 to 10 hours.






Ta da.................. This is what it looks like in the morning, it's ready to go into the oven now. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes.




Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.




Turn pan over onto a serving platter to remove. Serve by pulling apart chunks with forks. Doesn't it just look OMYGOODNESS GOOD!!!!! Don't forget the coffee.


Paula Deen's Ultimate Coffee Cake
Recipe Ingredients:
16 to 18 unbaked frozen dinner rolls
1 (3-ounce) package regular butterscotch pudding mix, not instant
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted


The night before place frozen rolls in well greased Bundt pan. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over rolls. Sprinkle brown sugar over pudding mix. Sprinkle chopped pecans over brown sugar. Pour melted butter over all. To prevent the dough from forming a hard crust while its rising overnight, cover with a damp towel or tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Let rise overnight at room temperature, about 8 to 10 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn pan over onto a serving platter to remove. Serve by pulling apart chunks with forks.


Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Difficulty: Easy

Adapted from: Paula's Home Cooking


If you missed our previous recipes for "Paula Deen Week" click on the links below to view the recipes:


Recipe for Day #1
Paula’s Georgia Cookie Candy

13 comments

Hey neighbor. Coffee cake looks delicious. I'm a pushover for any kind of dessert. And, of course, who doesn't love Paula. Did you get her Chocolate magazine? Check out the article on the chocolate spa! You gotta love it. Thanks for visiting my site.
Danielle said…
OH MY, I LOVE LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! I AM A STAY-AT-HOME MOM OF TWO, AND I LOVE TO COOK TO!! YOU CAN CHECK ME OUT www.afantasticfamilyoffour.blogspot.com you and i would get along great!! GOD BLESS
Michele said…
the coffee cake looks lovely. I wish that it were cooler here so that I could turn the oven on and do some baking. :-) Thanks for the great welcome to the foodie blog roll.
Genie said…
How ironic. You posted hubby's fave dessert and my least favorite in the form of banana pudding. And here you posted my favorite and his least favorite. The man won't touch coffee cake with a ten foot pole. Crazy fool.
Tina Butler said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina Butler said…
Oh Genie he just might try this coffee cake. Its more like pull apart bread and so good. You might have to just give it a try and see what he thinks.

Mickie I never need a excuse to turn on my oven. The Texas weather is HOT but i still turn that sucker on. I cant help it................... thanks for stopping by.
Genie said…
My Mom used to make something similar, she called it Monkey Bread. I'm not sure but I think she made it with her "Herman." Remember those sourdough starters the ladies in the neighborhood would all have going at the same time--usually because one woman brought it to the neighborhood and got everybody else started on it? Mom's was called, "Herman."
Becca said…
Hey, there! I just found your blog and will try the coffee cake recipe very soon! Great site!
Tina Butler said…
Hi Becca, I hope you like the coffee cake and i hope you come back and visit soon. I have a lot of recipes to add especially with the holidays just around the corner.
You continually bless me with so many great recipe ideas. My family is beginning to like my blog visits to your blog. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful, easy recipes.
Tina Butler said…
Well Judy I love your visits as well. I do hope you keep coming back. The coffee cake was so good. My kids enjoyed baking it with me.
Katie said…
Okay so I really want to make this recipe for my husband right now (he's in training for the Navy and I only see him on the weekends, today is the last day of this weekend). Would it work to do all the prep work and then cover the bundt pan with a moist towel and place in the oven on low with the door cracked a bit to allow the rolls to rise? Or is it essential to let them sit overnight? Thanks!
You way sounds fine. I think paula deen has hers this way so it can be an overnight recipe. Good Luck and lmk. You really just need to let it rise. I would start with thawed rolls so it rises faster.