Paula's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie



OK everyone we are continuing with "Paula Deen Week" in Mommy's Kitchen. It's Day Four and I am changing it up a bit. The past couple days it seems like I have been making more desserts than anything else. I cant help it I'm a sucker for sweets!! Any time I see a recipe for anything of the sweet nature I always tell myself "I gotta make that". Today I am actually going to prepare something for dinner instead. On the menu today is "Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie". When I hear chicken pot pie I immediately think "Comfort Food". This recipe is the simplified version of the Traditional Chicken Pot Pie. The crust is a bit different than the classic pie crust recipe. Paula's recipe utilizes biscuit baking mix instead of pie crust so it's so much easier to prepare. Just throw all the ingredients together and the oven does the rest of the work. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. As usual fashion I have my helpers ready to go. I sure wish these guys were as enthusiastic about cleaning their rooms as they are about helping in the kitchen, oh well I can dream can't I.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Instead of using boiled, cooked chicken. I grill mine on my stove top grill coated with a little olive oil. I season the chicken with a little bit of Paula's House Seasoning. Grill until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Cool and cut into pieces.



I par boil my veggies a little bit so they somewhat tender before adding them to the pot pie. If you are adding a potato then dice and cook the potato before adding.




Mix the soup, chicken broth together.




In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs (optional) , carrots, and peas.



Pour the soup mixture over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.




Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole.






Melt butter and drizzle over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.




Cool and serve.




My husband really prefers the Traditional Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, but he did say this was very good. I think the only thing different i would do next time is add some diced potatoes to the filling and maybe use half the butter, but other than that i thought it was Delicious.


Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie

2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 - 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (optional)
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 - med/large potato diced and cooked
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 1/2 Cups Biscuit Baking Mix (Pioneer, Bisquick or Jiffy)
1 cup milk
1/2 - Stick Melted Butter


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs, carrots, and peas. Mix the soup, chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour over the layers. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole. Drizzle butter over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.


Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Adapted From: Paula's Home Cooking


If you missed our previous recipes for "Paula Deen Week"
click on the links below to view the recipes:

3 comments

Leslie said…
Paula, this looks soooo yummy. If it tastes as good as it looks, you are an awesome cook! I have printed out the recipe and it's already in my notebook. I will be serving up this one very soon!

By the way, I'll be talking about the notebook in an upcoming blog post.
Tina Butler said…
Great, thank you for the comment.
AudreyO said…
I love Bisquick. There is so much you can with it, from biscuits to wonderful recipes like this one. I'm loving your blog.